Thursday, October 14, 2010

- Why Buddhist Talisman?

LP Thuat by Archan Tim, Archan Nong, Back

LP Thuat by Archan Tim, Archan Nong, front

There are two schools of thoughts on the spiritual aspects. The first group are called atheist who believes in atheism; in other words who does not believe in god. The other group off course is the group who belives in god.

We can further look into the similarity of the various religions. One of the common similarities that we can observe is; most religions have their own tripple gem (a term that I borrow from Buddhism, I hope this does not offend those who read this blog). The tripple gems are (1) The originator, (2) The teaching and believes, and (3) The teachers. For Buddhism, our originator is Siddata Gautama, the Buddha; the Buddhist sutra and mantra are our teaching; and the monks are our teachers.

Regardless of the sect of Hinayana or Mahayana teaching, it is a common practice for the monks to create amulets with Buddha and Bodhisattva's figure or some objects with protective spell in order to be given to their diciples. Therefore millions of Buddhist talisman was created since some two thousands years ago from India and Sri Langka until now Thailand and Cambodia.

I am constantly searching for the truth of Buddhist talisman. I own my very first Phra Leela twenty years ago. I did not realize the power my amulet carries, or I sould say I was so used to the power until I did not realize it all the while. Few years back, I started to own several Buddhist amulets and I have to admit that I was crazy about it and ever since I had started to collect different types of amulets and to learn the science behind them.
Many buddhist talismans are powerful. There are tons of written records mentioning how the amulets bearers were being protected from danger. Some accounts can even be termed miracle! There are several families of Buddhist talisman. Thai Buddhist believes in amulets and takrut. Tibetan believes in amulets and Dzi beads.

For the hectic life we have in modern days, a lot of people tend to look into external help especialy spiritual type in order to achieve their results faster. Buddhist talisman fit into the picture perfectly. Such scenario creates a need and supply since our ancient time. Where there is a need, there is a supply.

However our gurus create their amulets with different justifications. Amulets were usually being created to bless people in huge quantity, to raise fund for temple building or charity; unlike common people like us who need the amulets for protections, lucks and prosperity.

In my next article, let's talk about how an amulet or Dzi bead could change our life in a more scientific manner.

No comments: